The kitchen knife is one of the first utensils known to man, and according to history, the first kitchen knives were made millions of years ago from stones. Metal knives were later introduced as a better option for cutting food and vegetables in the kitchen. Today, kitchen knives serve more purposes in the kitchen than they were originally intended to. It is now also used for serving food and as cutlery in most homes, while other bigger knives are used for heavy-duty cuttings in the kitchen.
Since the introduction of cooking knives, several types and designs have been made to suit different purposes in the kitchen, and they are mostly manufactured and distributed in sets. knife sets are supposed to contain at least 5 different types of knives. This article highlights the 5 most important knives in the kitchen and their uses.
Types of Kitchen Knives
Kitchen knives are generally made to have two parts; the blade which is made of steel, and the handle which is often made of plastic or wood materials. However, they are made in different shapes and sizes according to what they are aimed to be used for in the kitchen. Here are the top 5 kitchen knives for any kitchen.
- Chef’s Knife: The chef’s knife is the commonest type of kitchen knife you can find today. It is also called a cook’s knife, and it is widely referred to as the most important knife in the kitchen. It has a curved blade that is wide at the base and curves up to a pointed tip. The chef’s knife is used for cutting, slicing, dicing, chopping, and other related tasks in the kitchen. And its curved blade allows for a free back and forth movement that is ideal for cutting on a chopping board.
- Paring Knife: Paring knives are the perfect alternatives when a task is too small for the chef’s knife. It has a semi-curved blade of usually between 2 to 4.5 inches, which is very ideal for peeling fruits and vegetables.
- Carving Knife: The carving knife is also referred to as a slicing knife, and it is one of the longest knives in the kitchen. It has a long, slim blade tapering to a sharp point, and its narrow width produces only a little drag, leading to cleaner and more uniformed cuts. It is often used to cut meat and thicker fruits and vegetables.
- Cleaver Knife: The cleaver, or the butcher Knife as it is sometimes called, is a kitchen knife with a flat rectangular blade. They are one of the biggest and heaviest knives used in the kitchen, and they are made in different sizes, depending on the volume of work they are to be used for. It is often used for butchering meat, and also for cutting meat into smaller pieces.
- Santoku Knives: Originally produced and used in Japan, the Santoku knife has gained popularity across other countries and is now one of the most used knives in the kitchen. It has a slightly tapered blade with a drop point that enables more precise cutting. It is mostly used for cutting, dicing, and mincing.
Knives are essentials in any kitchen. And both personal and commercial kitchens can not function without a set of knives. The above-listed knives are the most crucial knives that any complete kitchen is expected to have.